Afriboy's Hermetical Gay Art

Orokie/Afriboy/or A-Free-Boy was born in April, 1979, on “ a small island of Lake Victoria”, Uganda. He was educated there, in Kenya, and finally in Spain. From an early age, he drew secretly, using pictorial storytelling to explore his understanding of male-male love and sexual desire. (The word “gay” isn’t a term used by Orokie in his art, as he draws from African rather than Western traditions).

“I was grown drawing” he once wrote. And by this he meant more than “I grew up drawing”. Drawing was his education…it drew him out of himself, stretched him, and through drawing he learnt how to grow. At school in Kenya, where art was forbidden and water scarce, he painted using the water from drinks of tea.

Drawing developed Orokie's awareness of self and allowed him to shape his osotwa identity, which he felt was indigenous to Africa, part of its “tones of nature”. Osotwa, in Kenyan Maasai terminology, carries two important meanings: it is both the umbilical chord/navel and a bonded community. Osotwa is a sacred word for Orokie: it is a psychic link, an antenna chord at the centre of the body that links male lovers together. 

The graphite image was pure language for Orokie. Eventually, he moved to ink, watercolour crayon and watercolour paint. He thinks in orokieglyphs, using symbolism and collages more easily than words and thus avoiding colonial language, the language of the oppressor that enslaved him and others and continues to do so. (This language is connected to The Bible and how it continues to be a source that justifies Africa’s hatred towards “homosexuals”). The following illustration is a good example of his humorous thinking and playful awareness of Hermes and Hermeticism, one that visually rhymes Hermes, the god, with Hermes, the fashion brand; African sexuality and Western capitalism; male super-models (Salieu Jalloh) and the racist commodification of the Black male body.



In March 2006, Orokie returned to Kenya for a visit. This became the beginning of a terrible ordeal in which he was attacked for his “homosexuality”. Whilst journeying home, he was wounded by an armed gang, receiving a panga blade to the skull. This and other injuries left him critically ill and facing blindness. Over a year, Orokie recorded this trauma in the Black Notebook Daler 3404Orokie returned to full-scale painting in January 2008. He was never free of health problems, however, and had to cope with deteriorating eye-sight. In a series of works called Orgone, based on Reichian therapy, he later developed an hermetical symbolism (recalling the visual puns of Leonardo da Vinci) that notated his recovery towards drawing and painting once more. 


The art of Orokie/Afriboy is a vital record of same sex love in Africa. His work has appeared in Black: The African Male Nude 3 (2006) and 8 (2008) and Mein Schwules Auge 6 (2009) and a careful selection of his work (chosen by himself) can be seen at the online Homoerotic Museum. The art of Orokie is individual, but always aimed to his African perception of sex, one that unites and serves a communal and political purpose. 

Comments

A. Escobar said…
Hello dear Mercuneutics, Im doing a thesis for a master degree in Ethnic and African Studies in Brazil about the representation of the black male model in art, I found by luck your blog with the art of Afriboy and I loved the redaction I wanted to know if is possible to do a citation of it, if so I will need your author name (first and last name) because I dont know if they will accept me to include juste the name of "Mercuneutics" as bibliographical reference. Thank you so much I hope you can check this comment soon, my email is escobar_pintor@hotmail.com Im also an homoerotic artist if you have the chance someday please visit my site I would love to hear your opinion www.artescobar.com

Big hugs and kisses from Brazil, take care and congrats for your blog
A.H. said…
I have sent you an email in response. Sorry I missed this note. :-)
Unknown said…
This is very welcome. I used to correspond with Orokie by e-mail. I bought two of his paintings and he sent me a beautiful sketchbook full of his drawings and paintings. But he stopped replying to my e-mails and I have not had any contact with him for several years now. I continued to send him the occasional e-mail or birthday greetings, but still no reply. The e-mail address I used for him (nasamaki@yahoo.co.uk) is now not functional. If you have any information about him, please send me an e-mail at rel@queensu.ca. My fear is that Orokie eventually lost the sight in both eyes, or that his health has failed in some other way. I like your website, which I discovered only recently. Best wishes, Edward Lobb (Toronto, Canada)

Popular posts from this blog

The Sonnets of Richard Barnfield.

Jared French. Artist and Hermeticist.

Poetry and Cannibalism.